You have 3 ways to license Heathen's assets and content described in detail in each section below. In general the best way to license Heathen's Steamworks, PhysKit and UX is to become a GitHub Sponsor.
For small teams and indies this is really the best method for you and for Heathen.
Sponsors starting at the $10 a month tier gain access to our Source Repository.
- Lower price point Even if you maintain your $10 sponsorship indefinitely we would have to go 2 years with zero (0) major updates and zero (0) new assets in order for the Unity Asset Store's perpetual license to even break even (as good of a price, not better). Even then you wouldn't get the exclusives, instant updates nor the improved support.
- Better support As a $10 or greater sponsor you have access to our issue tracking and feedback tools within GitHub as well as priority attention. Any requests or issues you post will get seen first and sorted first as your accessing our source directly.
- Faster updates As you reading from the source there is no delay at all between us fixing a problem or making an update or addition and you having access to it.
- First Access and Exclusives Some of our tools like uGUI Tools for Steam are exclusive to GitHub Sponsors as they don't really fit well on Unity Asset Store. Other tools like Breakable Wood Props do make it to Unity Asset Store later and often in some reduced capacity due to the Asset Store's limitations.
- Managed dependencies: (major failing the of Asset Store) On GitHub we distribute through Package Manager, which means we can define dependencies and have them resolve and install for you.
- More flexible license: (major failing of the Asset Store) Our license is designed to be friendly to indies and is yours to keep even if you cancel your sub. Did you hire a contractor? With our license that is no problem your license extends to them while they work for you With Unity Asset Store license that contractor must also license the assets you use.
- Gain instant access to all our tools Discover more ways to Do More with Heathen. UX for example can improve and benefit just about any project. You probably didn't know we had it, if you did you probably weren't sure how it could help in your project but now its there, part of the sponsorship, take a look and see how you can do more!
Eventually everything except (maybe) our large art assets … and if we can find a way to ship them on GitHub Sponsor we will. Even GitHub has its limitations and large single files are one of them.
At current the following are present
- Steamworks Complete
- uGUI Tools for Steam (exclusive)
- PhysKit Complete
- Breakables Wood Props
- UX Complete
- uGUI Extras (On Screen Keyboard ... and more)
When you sponsor you gain the license documented here, and when you end your subscription you still have whatever you downloaded and yes the license to go with it. You can re-sub when you need to catch up on updates or get that sweet sweet priority support … or maybe you just want to show your support for Heathen.
For larger teams, studios or situations where the standard license just wont work for you Heathen can create a custom licensing solution, support terms, contracting and or consulting to meet your needs.
The classic approach. Unity Asset Store is a solid, tried and true option, you probably already know about it, and this is how you probably learned about Heathen.
While we think of the Asset Store as less than ideal for a great many reasons we will continue to support it so long its a viable option to deliver a quality product.
Asset updates on the Unity Asset Store are necessarily slower and have some limitations on what we can offer in terms of services, promotions, etc. The installation method is a bit … okay … a lot more error prone as it still uses .unitypackage even though it has you download those through the Package Manager . .. hopefully that will change soon (hurry up Unity)
As far as the licensing terms, refunds, etc. we really cant do anything there its all 100% Unity Technology. When it comes to the Unity Asset Store we are basically a blind vendor, we get a cut of sales but wont even be aware you exist unless you find us to start a conversation.
We of course offer support through our community channel on Discord and we do release updates monthly to the Store so this isn't a bad option its just a bit antiquated and limiting for you and us alike and has limited or in most cases no flexibility at all so no we cant offer you a discount, we cant let you know what's going on sale or when and we cannot offer custom licensing terms.
We are often asked when our assets will be included in sales or if they will … few things on that.
- 1.Unity is a black box, we do not know what will be invited, when or for what percentage until the last moments.
- 2.We couldn't say even when we do know; Unity wants us to be a black box to!
- 3.Unity is supper stingy with who it invites to promotions. Unlike any other store digital or physical Unity restricts its 4 major yearly sales to only the top couple hundred assets. In a store with more than 70 thousand assets this means most wont be invited … EVER
If we could we would do as; … well the rest of the world does … and run promotions on the 4 major periods (New Year, Spring, Summer and Winter). Sadly Unity doesn't give us any means to do so, if we simply adjust our price as a sort of "manual promo" then we become ineligible for any official promotions so we cant do that.